Establishing a Business
The All-Important To-do Checklist
Develop Business Plan (first things first)
- Develop a Business Model Canvas.
- Complete Business Plan
Prior to opening for Business
(we suggest following these steps in sequence)
- Secure a business attorney or service if required to discuss and decide on legal entity and prepare and file proper documents, review client agreements, employee contracts, et.
- Secure a licensed tax preparer for tax advice if required to also discuss legal entity, tax planning, etc.
- Secure an insurance agent/broker to obtain appropriate business insurance (including worker’s comp if employees)
- Apply for a business license with local governing authority (city, county)
- Apply for all necessary business permits with (city, county).
- File a Fictitious Business Name application if required. Post a legal notice in a local publication.
- Apply for separate tax ID for business with IRS. Apply online at www.irs.gov and search for Form SS4.
- Open a separate business bank account (will need business license and tax ID to open).
- Apply for a seller’s permit if required. Apply online at www.cdtfa.ca.gov/services/#resister-Renewals
- If your business will have employees, obtain a CA employer’s ID number. Apply online at: www.edd.ca.gov/e_services_for_business
- Establish a business email account.
- Establish an internet domain name.
Other things to Consider, if applicable, either before or after opening your Business
If you will have employees
- Create employee handbook
- Establish payroll system
- Establish Accounting system
- Post Employee posters in office
- Establish scheduling system
Implement Marketing strategies as identified in your business plan
Create Marketing Plan & Strategy (what we’re going to do, how, when, who: Clients and TEAM Members).
- Develop brand
- Build minimal website
- Create Facebook page
- Create LinkedIn page
- Buy business cards
- Create one-page marketing flyer
Implement Recruiting Client & Team member strategies as identified in your business paln
- Identify target clients
- Schedule meetings with them to understand what they need and sell the service (sign contract)
- Develop Recruiting Plan (who, what, when, how)
- Identify type of jobs/skills we want to hire
- Create job descriptions
- Post Jobs
- Interview: schedule, develop interview questions, interview
- Define training program.
- Develop Training Program
- Hold Training
- Evaluate and Place
- Evaluate /Assess your TEAM
- Make Placement when requests come in.
- Schedule appearances at Chamber of Commerce Meetings
- Continue developing website
- Build email list
- Maintain and enhance your Facebook business page.
- Search for networking groups